The artichoke is first steamed or boiled whichever you prefer. (I like steaming because of nutrient retention, about 10 – 15 minutes).
Dip in cold water to cool then split with a small spoon, remove the innermost sharp tipped white leaves and the bristles on the bottom.
Mix a little olive oil and good balsamic vinegar together with a pinch of sugar and a pinch of crushed garlic.
Marinate each of the halves about 5 minutes and then cook on the grill turning to lightly brown. (not that much on the outside leaves)
Mix together: mayonnaise with a little whole grain mustard, a lemon juiced, a crushed clove of garlic, salt and pepper. If you want it a little spicy put in a pinch of cayenne pepper.
The Forge” moved to its present location on the corner of 5th and Junipero in 1944, when master builder Hugh W. Comstock constructed the current Forge at a cost of $1,200.00, according to a building permit dated 25 September, 1944 and issued to Francis Whitaker, another artist and master blacksmith.
Mr. Whitaker used The Forge to produce much of the hand-wrought hardware (hinges, door latches, sign holders, etc.) that still adorns many of the historic buildings in Carmel. Mr. Whitaker was also active in civic affairs and served on the Carmel-by-the-Sea City Council for 13 years. The actual anvil, vise and hearth used by Mr. Whitaker, as well as photographs of him and the original Forge building, are on display inside the current Forge in the Forest Saloon.
Artist and writer Henry Miller and the internationally renowned writer, John Steinbeck were frequent visitors who met with other locals inside The Forge, to drink, tell stories and talk. The Grapes of Wrath novel was reported to have been inspired inside The Forge as a result of one such meeting. When Francis Whitaker left Carmel in the mid 1960’s, The Forge became an artist’s studio. In the fall of 1970, The Forge was then converted into a restaurant and saloon.
The Forge’s hand carved Brunswick mahogany back bar was discovered languishing in an old rotting barn by a previous partner in The Forge in the Forest business, while seeking shelter from a snow storm. It was originally brought to California “around the Horn,” by a clipper ship from England during the Gold Rush era and is reputed to have been used in a California gold country bordello.
Today the Forge continues to celebrate the rich history of the restaurant with a new touch of modernism with its new California cuisine menu and Award winning bar with an extensive cocktail menu prepared by our mixologist.